Sparkleyear 2010 started with a "new" PSP after a four month break from the site. I decided to write about politics less frequently, because ew, featured more photography, and fired up my neglected scanner to unleash a torrent of puzzling paper detritus from my various bookshelves and junk drawers. New features were introduced, such as the Random Nancy Panels and the super-exciting exposé on vendor cart hot dog signage. At one point, the site became all-Arizona all the time in tribute to the fallen state's sudden, tragic celebrity, and good lord, that devolved into high school memories and prom pictures and Meat Puppets bootlegs, but also brought with it a trove of exquisitely beautiful and depressing photographs of the Grand Canyon State by Sparklesibling Andrew. And through it all, surprisingly enough, I still more or less kept track of Condoleezza's hairdo so you didn't have to. Personally, I think this blog has been its best ever over the past year, and easily ten times more self indulgent, as this very post proves! Here are what I consider to be the highlights:
- Nobody will remember why these Parker Griffith cartoons were funny.
- What if Blanche Lincoln suddenly had super powers?
- An entire issue of a 1967 fashion mag for teens, including rare non-fiction by Thomas Disch.
- An entire issue of Tiger Beat from 1977 with bonus Leif Garrett reminiscences.
- Yearly Abortion Day photo journalism takes a scarftastic journey.
- Dukes of Hazzard activity book with incomprehensible story.
- PSP admits to retarded problem.
- Sarah Palin Tea Party Convention Speech Bingo™ has predictable results.
- Mating of Dick Cheney and Marlo Thomas has predictable results.
- Condi and Spike Lee: together at last.
- Contents of Mork and Mindy lunchbox reveal awkward moments of PSP's past.
- PSP saving the world from Satan, one prominent paleontologist at a time.
- Well, OK, yes I was a vandal. But my vandalism was cute!
- Amusing suicide memento.
- Reprint: article on big-eyed art featuring Tom Tomorrow, John Waters.
- The explanation about Jesse James you didn't even know you wanted. I think this is the best thing I wrote in the last year.
- How to read a peculiar 70s polyester disco shirt.
- PSP reveals the hilarity of Googling the phrase "I don't mean this in a racist way, but..."
- Is the Waltons lunchbox the worst or best ever? Can't it be both?
- PSP warns readers of Arizona Month to come.
- Sparklesibling Andrew's Arizona photos totally change the look of the blog.
- Series of rare Meat Puppets recordings posted to demonstrate Arizonan street cred.
- Excruciatingly 80s PSP prom pictures revealed.
- Good times had when breaking into a Joe Jackson concert with a mohawked punk.
- Ziggy finally dies.
- The horror of Kokopelli explained.
- Teen PSP attempts Mansonesque yearbook cover.
- Hairdos and politics still an uneasy mix.
- Obvious gayness of Aaron Schock examined.
- PSP has mystical experience while contemplating pork products.
- New bubblicious site design impulsively revealed.
- Shoddy ascot journalism criticized.
- Arizonans discover "straw man" politics, take phrase literally.
Stay tuned for part two.