Monday, June 14, 2010

PSP Receives Sausage Message From Beyond!

OK, so this is really weird. True story! Last night I was doing laundry, and at about 7:20, I remembered that there were a few things I needed to get at Target. Realizing they close at 8 on Sunday, I hustled over. I only needed a few things: soap, coffee and cream, you know, things I really required for Monday morning. Anyway, it was getting close to closing, and I was making my way through the food section, when for some reason, my eyes locked on the Jimmy Dean sausage in the refrigerated case. Mmm, Jimmy Dean, I thought, almost instantly falling into a reverie about those porktastic hockey pucks I enjoyed in my youth. I literally had not thought about this food product in decades. I considered throwing a tube into my basket, but then snapped out of it and decided otherwise.

Imagine the funny feelings I had this morning when I visited the Washington Post and found out that Jimmy Dean himself had just died! Clicking through to the article, I felt even funnier when I noticed that he had been pronounced dead at 7:54 PM, more or less the exact time I had become momentarily entranced by his flagship product!

What does it all mean? Ha, nothing. Still, though: pork moves in mysterious ways.

13 comments:

Angry Parakeet said...

I am planning a vigil at the historical picture marker on Euclid and Georgia Ave. featuring him and other surprise ol'boys who used to perform at a venue located there.
Very remarkable, your moment with the sausage.

Glennis said...

Clearly it was a message to you from beyond the grave. I say buy some sausage.

(Omigod! I just realized that I, too must have been touched by the frail, porky finger of Jimmy Dean's soul departing this mortal coil! I cooked pasta with tomatoes and crumbled Italian sausage last night around the same time!)

Angry Parakeet said...

Just viewed a short video of his life - he looks so much like Christopher Walken - do others see this?

Matthew Hubbard said...

If you had bought the sausage, then it would have been a message received.

Good job of hanging up on messages from beyond. That sausage is nasty.

Peteykins said...

So what you're saying, Matty, is that the sausage was some kind of rendered meat Ouija board, sent by Satan to fool me.

SO GLAD I RESISTED.

samael7 said...

Meat Puppets and Meat Packagers, all on the same page on the interwebs.

I heart PSP.

BruceJ said...

Jimmy Dean?? JIMMY DEAN??!!! And you claim to be from Tucson!

EVERYONE knows that Farmer John's makes the only decent sausage :-P

drew in sf said...

About 15 years ago in my pre-professional life, I worked as a canvasser for an environmental-nag org (knock knock hi I'm Drew I'm with the environment write a check) in Richmond, VA. I was set out on a turf one night where it was pointed out to me that Jimmy Dean had a house just up the road from my drop-off. It was also pointed out that he was known to shoot at people who knock on his door. So I didn't.

So, what I'm saying is, your story is much better than mine, Peter :-)

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize until this morning that the sausage guy was the same as the singer. I loved the song Little Black Book in my youth.

Anonymous said...

I think it means you have a connection with Jimmy in the same way Harry and Voldemort shared a connection....now what this means for your future, and that of pork sausage, I know not.

~snuffella

dguzman said...

Spooky.

But I'm glad I don't feel this mysterious "sausage" connection.

Unknown said...

Did you know that a blurb from this blog was printed in the Express daily's "lookout online" page on Tuesday? I saved a copy for you.

Peteykins said...

I saw it Shelley, thanks. They left out the best line!