Friday, October 25, 2013

Cuccinelli Seals Fate With Dangerous Puppy References


OK, say you're a desperate political candidate. Nothing is working, you're behind in every poll, and you really need a way to appeal to more voters. It's time to evoke puppies:

“He’s been very clear that he doesn’t like my plan, but I have one,” Cuccinelli responded. “I like puppies, but I don’t bring a puppy home if I don’t have a plan for how I’m going to deal with that puppy. … He’s all puppy and no plan.”

No, no, no! Look, if there's one thing I've proven here at PSP, it is that puppy politics are poopy politics. It doesn't work.  Puppies, so cute and delightful, may as well be rattlesnakes to the unsuspecting politician. Ask Rick Santorum. Ask Michael Steele. Rudy Giuliani was correct to ignore Mark Halperin's naive puppy advice. Even Joe Biden knew to keep his puppy interactions on the down-low until the election was safely over. And Sarah Palin –Sarah Palin!– kept puppy metaphors to a bare minimum before wisely abandoning them forever.

Some people say that Social Security is the third rail of American politics; I say it's puppies. It's too late for Cuccinelli, but you can save yourself!

2 comments:

mistah charley, ph.d. said...

michael steele, after losing an election, went on to be a talking head on msnbc - who knows if it's good or bad?

and now the walt whitman quote:

I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain’d,
I stand and look at them long and long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,
Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth.

karen marie said...

"Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things"

Sorry, if Whitman believed this, he never lived with a dog.