Former Republican Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich delivers the main address at the Prescott Bush Awards Dinner in Stamford, Conn., Thursday, June 4, 2009. Gingrich warned his audience not to lose sight of the principles of the Republican Party as they face the present day challenges. (AP Photo/Bob Child)
So you thought the big GOP rivalry was Steele versus Limbaugh? Or Cheney versus Powell? Or Kathleen Parker versus Everybody Else? No, it's so much better: Newt versus Sarah!
You just have to enjoy this hilarious article at Politico about, seriously, a benefit dinner tonight and how much clothes-rending and cries of "Calgon, take me away!" it is causing. You're going to have to read between the lines, because this is Politico, after all, but once you figure out what's going on, you'll laugh and laugh. Some observations:
- How do you solve a problem like Sarah? You can't. She has become the albatrossiest albatross in the history of the Republican Party.
- This isn't really Newt vs. Sarah. This is Washington vs. Sarah.
- It is the job of Sarah's Washington and Alaska staffs to coordinate together to make everything impossible.
- Newt Gingrich thinks this is his big comeback.
- Pete Sessions is a vindictive hostess.
- New GOP slogan: "We're stuck to the base and can't get up!"