Monday, April 10, 2006

Monday Audioblogging: Dream Sequence


Music Boxes and Chiming Clocks from the Alec Templeton Collection, 1958 RCA Victor, monophonic. Click for larger!

Please note: Although this album was copyrighted by RCA in 1958, it is my belief that the later Bridgeman vs Corel decision renders these recordings non-copyrightable. Nevertheless, please read the audioblog disclaimer.

It says a lot about the perception and enjoyment of music in our society that in 1958 an album of recordings of antique music boxes was not only a viable release by a major record label, but that it sold a fair amount of copies, too. It's hard to imagine that happening now. So does that imply that we're more sophisticated today, or less so?

What I love about these recordings is their non-clinical nature, that you can actually hear Mr. Templeton, a well-regarded concert pianist at the time, winding the machines up and walking from one to the other. Sometimes you hear loud bangs that sound like things getting knocked over. You really get the feeling of him pacing around his house, moving from music box to music box. Fantastic!

These recordings have never been released in digital format. I'm tempted to upload the entire album, but I think you'll agree that a little goes a long way.

My suggestion: close your eyes while listening and try to imagine yourself in the midst of some Fellini-esque dream sequence. Or Hellraiser. Works for me!

Music Boxes 1 (5:15, 6.2mb mp3)
Music Boxes 2 (2:19, 2.7mb mp3)
Music Boxes 3 (2:10, 2.6mb mp3)
Music Boxes 4 (1:45, 2.1mb mp3)

7 comments:

Lulu Maude said...

Perfect pony prancing tunes!

samael7 said...

Awesome!!!!!

If insanity has a soundtrack, this is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen Zipdrive said...

One day I will find the perfect hideous LP in some dusty old store and send it to you.
I will, however, have to search very hard to top this particular chestnut.
I'll bet you were a very strange little colt.

Unknown said...

hey watch it tossing my name around KZ:P

I dutifully listened. I like the 1st,3rd and really liked the 4th track. They remind me of the Jamaican metal drums..what the hell are those called? You know..the barrel tops cut off at varying degrees to produce different notes..
Anyway..I like those type of drums and this stuff reminds me of them.

Karen Zipdrive said...

steel drums.

Anonymous said...

lil'girl: ohhhh mom can i get ice cream?
mom- ok, unless it Hood ice cream!

Esri Rose said...

I own a CD of music-box Christmas carols, played on some honkin' thing that takes big perforated discs. I freely admit that I love it. Thanks, PSP!