Monday, January 16, 2006

Monday Audioblogging: Orphans and Disclaimers

Orphans are sad, aren't they? Imagine an adorable, rag-tag orphan holding a bowl in front of his or her face, tearfully pleading, "Please, IRS Records, Sir, please re-release my New Wave hit from 1980!" Lordy, I've got a lot of these orphans in my collection.

So here's my disclaimer, and I'll be referring back to this post in future audioblogging entries: I do not provide these music files as substitutions for official releases, even though official releases of these songs no longer exist. Most of these 'orphans' have never been released on CD and have not been available for years, even decades. The only way to get many of these recordings is to pay outlandish prices to collectors, and this hardly benefits the artists, unless they're selling unsold copies of their own records out of their garages. Furthermore, these files are recorded from my own vinyl copies, warts-and-scratches-and-all, so they're not exactly bootleggable, audiophile quality to begin with.

I am providing these files, basically, in hopes of helping to keep knowledge of these songs and musicians alive, to foster a goodwill toward these musicians which will help create an atmosphere where all this stuff will be re-issued. In other words, I'm trying to help.

That said, these files are provided for educational and evaluation purposes only. If you are a stakeholder in these recordings and would rather I didn't share them, simply drop me a line (peteykinsATgmailDOTcom) and I will remove them.

That said... on to the audioblogging!

1 comment:

Lulu Maude said...

Princess Sparkle Pony have great opportunity to do much good.