Thursday, February 07, 2008

Princess Diplomat Follow Up Pointless Trip to London with Pointless Trip to Afghanistan


Afghan President Hamid Karzai (C) addresses a joint press conference while US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (L) and British Foreign Minister David Miliband look on at the Presidential palace in Kabul. Rice denied the allied strategy to stabilise Afghanistan was failing, saying it was incomplete and needed innovation to crush "determined enemies. (AFP)


I saw this coming from a mile away: an OMG SECRET SURPRISE trip to Afghanistan with Mr. Miliband to visit Bush's Unocal buddy, Hamid Karzai. I like the rare triple podium shot, above, but the whole thing was boring, boring, boring. The best part was that Karzai's interpreter was absolutely terrible:

The sisters and brothers, you’re most welcome to the press conference today. I’m very happy and pleased and there are many issues of today that I will be discussing it with – friend, Secretary of State of the United States and British country. Today, they are – came with a message of friendship and I welcome them to Afghanistan and I appreciate and I’m thankful to the assistance that they have given Afghanistan.

Our talks were about the strengthening of the relationship between the countries to fight terrorism, improve my economy, and the (inaudible). And they, as always, promised their commitment at a time when Afghanistan stands on its feet and they will – they promised that they will fight the terrorism together and (inaudible) – I welcome both to Afghanistan and I am thankful to the extraordinary assistance that both country has given to Afghanistan.


Ha, ha, ha, what? The only part that came across accurately, I believe, is when he said they came to "improve my economy," and I have no doubt that's his primary concern. As for the rest of the country? Well, there's always the ever-dependable heroin crop. Also while she was there, Condi had to talk to reporters outside in the freezing cold:


(AFP, as if I need to say, because they always use that stupid black border)

She also talked to girl soldiers:



The funniest thing about the above photo is that Reuters' caption contains a stern warning saying EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. Darn it! I wanted to use it for ads for my new lesbian paintball arena! Oh well, back to the drawing board.

And then, finally, the inevitable matching armchairs photo-op with dreamy Hamid, always the best-dressed world leader:


(AFP)

Where does that man shop? GOD his clothes are so beautiful.

9 comments:

Flying Spaghetti Monster said...

Perhaps not terrible, just terribly clever? Karzai's interpreter was probably trying to emulate Bush and allow his use of the President's famously fractured syntax to put the Americans at ease.

Mistress Cynica said...

As a college student in the late 1970s, I got uyp early to hear Pres. Sadat of Egypt to be the first Arab leader to address the Israeli parliament. Not only was his interpreter terrible, but we could hear a sound technician saying "Louder, Mohammed, louder" throughout.

Anonymous said...

Fasten your seat belts, you can change your gender!

Georgetown University: Office of the President and The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service
invite you to attend a speech on
Transformational Diplomacy to be delivered by The Honorable Condoleezza Rice U. S. Secretary of State.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
10:45 a.m. Gaston Hall
NO CAMERAS, BAGS, BACKPACKS OR PURSES of any size allowed into Healy Hall.
Seating will be done on a first-come, first-served basis. Georgetown University GO Cards will be required for admittance.

Anonymous said...

In the last photo, is that a kleenex in Princess Diplomat hand?

Matthew Hubbard said...

Sometimes I try to be funny when I post here. I won't try this time. The Princess is generous to leave room for others to find the funny. This time, not so much.

Read the post again. This is the Princess at her tip-top tip-toppiness!

I bow to genius.

zoe said...

She's wearing the Manolos again!!! Christ, she is wearing them all over the globe! Get another pair of shoes, Condi!

dguzman said...

Matty Boy is so right--when I read about the photo not being useable for the "new lesbian paintball arena," I almost peed my pants. Princess, YOU RULE.

Pure gold.

Anonymous said...

Condi stole my bathrobe!@!!

isabelita said...

Karzai's weird duds are probably made by young children, chained in the basement of his palace.