Monday, October 16, 2006

When Ex-Gay Rivals Turn on Each Other, Everybody Wins!



OMG, have you ever heard bitch-slapping quite as delightful as this? The LA Times delivers a real thrill-ride in their totally fun exposé of what can only be called an incipient Ex-Gay™ turf war between Alan Chambers' telegenic yet fey group Exodus International on one side, and the decidedly less festive National Assn. for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality on the other. What a delicious spectacle:
One psychiatrist called for allowing schoolchildren to shame and ridicule classmates who don't act according to stereotypical gender roles. Another board member, a therapist, asserted that slaves may have been better off in chains than in "savage" Africa.

One of NARTH's scientific advisors has quit in protest, and a prominent therapist has canceled his presentation at the group's annual conference next month. Alan Chambers, who leads the nation's largest support group for "ex-gays," urged NARTH's members to "think long and hard about the mission of the organization."
And after all, if there's anybody who likes things long and hard, it's Alan Chambers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped by Atrios, and somehow I thought of you, PSP.

Carmen Sutra said...

Blue ribbon to PSP for "Best Use of a Goya Painting in an Ex-Gay Post".

I wish they had named the "one psychiatrist" so I could hone my bullying skills on him/her.

Anonymous said...

In my misguided youth I attended Exodus. They destroy people. No one changes; they just become conflicted and shamed. Thanks to Exodus I lost my faith. We should stop at nothing to expose their lies and put an end to their “evil doing”.