Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Quickie: Strange Notions of Courageousness

Sorry, Pony Pals, but I just can't come up with much to blog about today.

But I thought I'd mention something strange which has bugged me over the years. I have a large collection of vintage shirts, many of which are considered "wild" by my coworkers. Today I wore a bright pink short-sleeved cotton shirt from the early 1970s. Really, there's nothing special about this shirt, but the color is pretty bright, almost exactly the same shade as Pepto Bismol. Whenever I wear this shirt, I get A LOT of comments on its pinkness.

I mentioned to one coworker who commented upon its apparently outlandish pinkness about how many comments I had received. She said, "Well, it's so BOLD." Another colleague, a male, said, "Oh, I'd never have the nerve to wear such a pink shirt."

The nerve? Bold?

Look, it takes nerve to serve in a war. It's bold to run into a burning building to rescue a toddler. It is neither bold nor nervy to don an amusing vintage garment. It's wearing a shirt, people.

11 comments:

Karen Zipdrive said...

When men wear pink it shakes up peoples' idea of masculinity.
When women wear blue nobody cares.
A man in a pink shirt is a man either secure in his masculinity, or a nellie queen...it depends on the fabric.
:)

Anonymous said...

How about a report on the faculty war at BC regarding wheather or not they should un-invite condi as the recpieint of an honorary degree this year...that should prove to have good pics...see www.boston.com/globe

Peteykins said...

I think I'm somewhere in-between those two poles.

Anonymous said...

Princess,
We would love a picture!! Your biggest fan in Tampa!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I have a feeling that your co-workers are the same type of people who refer to chocolate desserts as "sinful" - UGH.

samael7 said...

Let's look at this practically: Did it clash? Did it cause any Anime-esque siezures? Were you wearing a great big Carmen Miranda-style had made of tropical fruits? Did it cause your chest (or elements thereof) to stand out in any way, perhaps reflecting a certain coolness of temperature (albeit in a very manly way)?

If yes to any of the above, then perhaps they were being tactful.

If not, then, yeah, they probably are the type to confuse rich sweets with a religious affront.

Anonymous said...

Come down here Princess, all the guys wear tight pink sirts. I swear you can't throw a rock in Brisbane's Queen Street Mall without hitting a metrosexual in a tight pink sirt.

Unknown said...

I love Samael's take on the shirt..

PSP..you like that shirt??wear it w/pride darlin..just don't clash.

Civic Center said...

When you say you're between the two poles, does that mean you're a nellie queen who's secure in his masculinity? Awesome, Princess. And princess tori is right, the world's coming back around to bright pink shirts on men thanks to people like you, metrosexuals in Brisbane, and the more adventurous golfers on the PGA tour (I'm not kidding, check out Parnevik, Villegas, etc.)

Please continue to brighten people's day.

Carmen Sutra said...

I have a fairly conservative dull orange polo style shirt that I wear with khakis and I've had people at the office comment that wearing it must "take a lot of self-confidence". Talk about people in serious need of liberation! I can't even imagine how one becomes that self-oppressed.

Unknown said...

Are they republicans carmen? That would answer your question :P