Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before



I love getting emails like this one from my buddy Baxterslate:
Hey Petey,
The San Diego Zoo just had a baby panda and guess what size it is?
I won't spoil it for you.
And sure enough, he links to the AP article about the special event, and, indeed, it reveals the following:
San Diego Zoo officials said the cub weighed 4 ounces, the size of a stick of butter.
Yes! The simile still works! Other news outlets sticking (OMG! LOL!) to the butter standard (other than AP subscribers) include the LA Times, CBS News, and... well, just do the Google News search if you want more. I don't know, though... I think I still need Cheryl Atkinson on the CBS Evening News to hold up an actual stick of butter again before I can really grasp this information.

Newer Sparkle Pony readers: If you're wondering what the heck I'm going on about, start here, and then continue here, here, and here.

UPDATE: Speaking of new visitors, hello Wonkette readers! Um... you might want to skip this post, OK? Wheee!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big thanks to Wonkette for leading me here. I had no idea there were others as obsessed with Condi's hairdo as I am--could you do a historical feature on Condi's hair? Like her HS Senior picture? I'm guessing it was the same as the current one...

as our governator says--I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

No more butter... now it's a banana:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050804/news_1n4panda.html

dotsandlines said...

It may be indelicate of me to mention this, but for the sake of science I must. According to the San Diego Zoo, the mother panda weighs 239 pounds.

Or, 821 sticks of butter.