Friday, June 13, 2014

Junk Drawer: Cassette Covers I Made In The 80s, Part 4

(Click either for bigger.)

 

The bottom two are pretty self-explanatory. The one on the top left is for Cabaret Voltaire's "Red Mecca". The one on the top right is for the Rough Trade compilation album "Wanna Buy a Bridge", which is still, to this day, one of my all-time favorites.

UPDATE: Actually, the "Goo" tape isn't self-explanatory. Around 1983/4, Pony Pal Mr. Bad Trash and I would do, for fun, what we called "demolition dubs". We would buy 7" singles of the most annoying pop songs, and then we would make "dub" versions of the songs, "pause button edits,," if you will, using the singles and a cassette player, in which we would "scratch" repeat the most terrible parts of the song in a highly destructive version of 12" single mixes. Memorable examples of songs we used were "Jump" by Van Halen and "We Are the World". I really, REALLY, should digitize this cassette; haven't heard it in YEARS.

2 comments:

Comradde PhysioProffe said...

When I was in a dark mood in high school, I always loved to listen to the Stranglers.

Diane Griffin said...

Comradde -- I used to love the Stranglers for their playing and their anger. I can't listen to them now because of their misogyny.

And it's not that I'm so PC, it just makes me personally uncomfortable.