Sunday, May 11, 2014

Art Collection: Drawing For "Nancy" Daily By Ernie Bushmiller, 1960

(Click for bigger.)

Another early 60s Bushmiller in superb, nearly untouched condition. I don't really have much to say about this one! It's good, of course, but it doesn't absolutely kill me like others in my collection from this period. Also, is it just me, or is that enclosure for the kangaroos not very well thought out? That wall seems awfully low. Actually, the longer I look at this one, the worse it gets; those animal drawings are terrible. You can tell that Bushmiller started with the idea of doing a kangaroo gag and then worked backwards. It's always a lot of fun when Nancy and Sluggo go to the zoo!

Some details:




7 comments:

Comradde PhysioProffe said...

And why is Nancy so enraged that Sluggo has his hands in his pockets? It seems disproportionate.

Peteykins said...

Oh, that used to be seen as VERY uncouth. Nancy was always sensitive to things which would make her and Sluggo seem hick-ish.

nixiebunny said...

I figured out why the strip is so dead - there are no panels with three rocks.

Peteykins said...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the three rocks are 1. Misunderstood and 2. Overrated.

PhysioProffe said...

Thanks for the old-school etiquette lesson! I had no idea it was considered rude.

JMC said...

...you know bout this??
http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=We-Need-Your-Nancys.html&Itemid=113

Peteykins said...

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have any of those.