Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tad Dorgan Plays Nice, May 23, 1917

(Click for bigger.)

I've looked at thousands of Tad's "Indoor Sports" cartoons, and as varied as they are, they all have one consistent theme: Everybody is awful, and everybody is laughing behind everybody else's back.

So it should come as no surprise that Tad would get letters like the one reproduced in the above panel:

Dear Tad –

Why don't you draw an Indoor Sport showing the good side of people instead of roasting them for a weakness or two. There are a lot of good people in the world show us some of them occasionally.

Yours truly
a fan for Indoor Sports

And so, as you can see, Tad proceeded to follow his fan's advice, and produced a cartoon where nothing happens and the characters stand around awkwardly, inanely complimenting each other.

I'm going to go ahead and call this the first "anti-gag" cartoon.

3 comments:

Toriko said...

I do quite like that cartoon. There is something about the multi layered humor in these comics that I really enjoy, even if I sometimes have trouble with the slang in some of the other comics.

Are the comics you own newspaper clippings, or something further up the process? I don't really know much about how they went from the artist's hands to print.

Peteykins said...

Toriko, these ones I'm posting recently are cartoons clipped from a Memphis newspaper 100 years ago.

Coming up next: a Tad cartoon featuring a gay character!

Diane Griffin said...

I love the expression "sell your hammer and buy a horn."