Saturday, December 20, 2008

Shoe-Inspired Mid-East Art Renaissance Continues


A Jordanian protestor holds up a picture of U.S. President George W. Bush with a shoe fixed on it, during a demonstration in support of Iraqi journalist Muntadhar al-Zeidi in Amman, Jordan, Saturday, Dec. 20, 2008. Dozens of protestors gathered to demand the release of Al-Zaidi, who threw his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush during a news conference in Iraq on Sunday, Dec. 14. (AP Photo/Nader Daoud)


I pointed out yesterday that the popular shoe hurling incident had unexpectedly given birth to the Turkish Claes Oldenburg. Now, as you can see above, it has also had the happy payoff of a Jordanian Robert Rauschenberg. I can't wait for the Kuwaiti Jasper Johns and the Afghan Jim Dine. Good times!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He looks like Rahm Emanuel.

Diane Griffin said...

I like that this poster reflects the wished-for outcome. If only the sole of that shoe had connected with the face!

Karen Zipdrive said...

I visited the web site of the Turkish shoe manufacturer whose shoe the thrower threw and lemme tell you, they make some cool looking shoes.
Pony, you'd rock about half the styles they make. I'd include their URL here but I don't want you to rear up on your hind legs and pummel me with your sparkly front hooves.

Peteykins said...

Actually, Karen, I'd love to see that.

Lulu Maude said...

What a great way to recycle other shoes, though... send them to the White House in the administration's waning weeks.

There used to be that rotten sneaker contest; perhaps they can schedule this year's competition at la Casa Blanca Jan. 11.

imissamerica said...

If the shoe fits...
http://democralypsenow.blogspot.com/

Peteykins said...

Ew, actually, I looked at the site for Baydan Shoes, and they are far, far too ugly to wear.

Karen Zipdrive said...

PSP, obviously you are not a lesbian. I loved the collection!