Friday, February 10, 2006

A la Carte



The drumbeats are growing for "a la carte" cable TV programming, where viewers can choose menus of the channels they want to pay for. This seemingly innocuous idea is potentially a sociological bombshell, which makes me all gallopy in my corral.

First, I can't wait to see how the cable companies categorize their offerings and sort them into rosters of channels. Will there be several "family" tiers, for instance? Like, will there be a special category for Christian families which omits MTV, the Discovery Channel and the Cartoon Network, and a different one for more permissive, Satanic families who think science, pop music and Spongebob are OK and would rather not fund Pat Robertson? Will I be able to order a lineup which is totally Christian-free? The mind reels at the gargantuan task ahead for the programmers.

More importantly, how many people will actually sign up for a strictly Christian-approved package, one which omits all the sinnin' and cussin' and sexin'? Will this end up being a rude wake-up call to the fundies when the statistics on which packages sell the best come in? Will they find out that they're not quite as mainstream as they like to present themselves?

And most crucial: will there finally be an all-Pia Zadora channel (see above)?

6 comments:

E said...

Years ago, I pitched the idea of 'a la carte' cable television to a cousin of mine who was actually in the cable industry at the time. She looked at my like I was crazy, and asked what I found appealing about the notion. I told her that I never ever wanted to even surf past an image of evangelist krap again in my life.

I just forwarded your entry to her

Anonymous said...

Yikes.
Reminds me of high school when we (stoned out of our gourds, methinks) used to sing these following words to the tune of the Prelude from Carmen:

Pia Zadora
Don't spit on the floor-a
Use the cuspidor-a
That's what it's for-a

Anonymous said...

This is off-topic, but YAY! CNN has more fake news today!

Check:
http://tinyurl.com/bura9

versus

http://tinyurl.com/ahf4p

Anonymous said...

ok , you ponyist, any excuse to worship petit-pia. Maybe I should have her sing for my party this spring!!Any ideas smarty-shit-catcher(central park horse diapers, also in nawlins)?
hey p big news you can stay at my place eh?

Peteykins said...

SP, before I even clicked, I knew it would be the Barbie story.

Mr. Huestis, you'll have to tell me more!

z7q2 said...

I have "I Am What I Am". I like it too. That Pia can sing!