Sunday, January 08, 2006

Monday Audioblogging: Monster Mash



What a treat for you this Monday morning! Two tracks from one of my favorite stars of all time: Tammy Faye Bakker. Click on the image above for a larger view of the wonderful front cover, and note that the "R" in "Run" is wearing little high-heeled boots. Oh, behave! I also like this collage on the back cover:



This 1980 LP on the PTL Records label features Tammy at her histrionic best. You may experience mascara gushing out of your headphones and/or your head may explode by the end of the second selection. Note, too, that this vanity project was an expensive one, with a full orchestra and Gary Sanford Paxton of Monster Mash fame producing, making it just the kind of money-losing project that got Jim 'n' Tammy in trouble. And as will be the norm for Monday audioblogging, I do not believe this stuff has ever been re-released on CD*. Enjoy!

Run Toward the Roar (2:55, 3.4mb mp3)
Oh How I Love Jesus/Thou Art Worthy (5:09, 6.1mb mp3)

*It is, however, available on cassette... direct from Tammy!

9 comments:

Karen Zipdrive said...

Holy crap! Can an excerpt from "Mrs. Miller's Greatest Hits" be far off?

Peteykins said...

I do love Mrs. Miller, but her stuff is pretty easy to find. Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't own copies of her great records on vinyl.

Anonymous said...

i demand a teeshirt made of these images.

Alicia Morgan said...

I love me some Tammy Faye! When I was in the house band on the Roseanne show, Tammy Faye was a guest star, and I spent several hours chatting with her. Her charm is that she can laugh at herself - a very attractive quality.

Peteykins said...

Whoah, color me jealous, Alicia! I agree that she's really a sympathetic character. Anybody who really watches "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" comes away thinking that she's basically a moron, but a good-hearted one.

Lulu Maude said...

Actually, I just bought a copy of Mrs. Miller's Greatest Hits for a friend who needs a little pick-me-up. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll try a little Tammy Faye.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Alicia has crushed me with envy.

samael7 said...

The back collage picture of Tammy amid the Aslan motif reminds me of Amy Sedaris' Jerri Blank from "Strangers With Candy."

I haven't dared listen yet.

Tommy said...

God bless you for sharing these treasures!! lol