Friday, July 01, 2005

Sandy Duncan O'Connor: An Appreciation

I was shocked today to hear that Sandy D. O'Connor had resigned from the Supreme Court. She's brought so much joy to so many.


Sandy, 1971, in the Disney film The Million Dollar Duck


Sandy today

I've loved Sandy since I was a kid. She was always hilarious on Laugh-in, The Flip Wilson Show, Sonny and Cher, etc. I was sad that her eponymous variety show only lasted one season in 1972, but she went on to triumph after triumph on Broadway, in countless revivals of Peter Pan, and, most special to me, as a voice on the My Little Pony cartoon series.

Somewhere along the way, in a series of events I can't seem to find any information on, Sandy Duncan married a man named O'Connor and turned to a very impressive career as a judge. I'm guessing it was the death of the variety show genre in the late 70s which brought about the switch. In the Supreme Court, she was seen as a crucial swing vote on abortion and civil rights issues, performed additional duties as a spokeswoman for Wheat Thins, and never complained about her lack of sight in her left eye, the tragic consequence of a tumor.

Other people seem to be upset that Ms. O'Connor has retired, but I'm not. Judging from the photos above, the job sure has aged you in strange and surprising ways! You deserve a rest, girl!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Somewhere along the way, in a series of events I can't seem to find any information on, Sandy Duncan married a man named O'Connor and turned to a very impressive career as a judge. I'm guessing it was the death of the variety show genre in the late 70s which brought about the switch."

Umm...actually it's the fact that Sandra Day O'Connor (supreme court) and Sandy Duncan (Peter Pan, Flip Wilson, etc) are NOT the same person. Just a little FYI there...

Anonymous said...

THIS CRAP IS SHITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO YOU AND THIS PICTURE CAN GO SUCK A DICK!!!!

Peteykins said...

You know, sometimes I go back to old posts and see belated comments like the above, and I practically explode with joy.

ineverinever said...

princess, you said it best.....

Anonymous said...

Shity is now my new favorite word. Followed closely by Jmstxmry.

Anonymous said...

When I went back and read this post and its comments, I squealed with delight.

dguzman said...

I'm just glad that glass eye didn't hurt her during law school. Way to go, Sandy! Way to go, Wheat Thins!

Anonymous said...

I believe it was arguing the high-profile "Wheat Thins vs. Ritz" case that first brought her to the attention of the Supreme Court.

Anonymous said...

This is not Sandy Duncan, or at least the actress you mention. For recent Sandy's picture you can check imdb.com link http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0242098/
She's not THAT old lol

Cheers
D