Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Meet Ricky Rebel: Interviews, Part One

Yesterday I introduced you to the work of my 1990s friend Rick Rebel, the self-described "celebrity-obsessed, head-banging, Satan-worshiping, pot-smoking, homosexual waiter from Hell." Tomorrow you'll get to hear his music! Today, though, I thought, "Let's give everybody more info about Rick himself." What's he really like? What does he like in a boy? Is he really Satan's bitch?

One day in 1995, Rick was leafing through a bunch issues of Ben is Dead and Genetic Disorder in my apartment, and he said, casually, "I wish I had my own magazine."  "Well, let's make you one, then," I replied, and we proceeded to do so, eventually producing one issue of Satan Brand Magazine. Rick's tagline was great: Tired of that HEAVY Satan? It was a lot of fun to put together, but we were simply ridiculously poor, so only about twenty copies ever got made, all of which were given away to friends. I'm still proud of it, and have recycled elements from it many times. Here I go again, in fact!

The following is the first of several interviews with Rick from Satan Brand Get to know Rick! And he was like this all the time! Um... I guess at this point it's prudent to say that this content, just like Ricky Rebel himself, isn't for everyone. Kids, if any of these terms confuse you, just ask Mom and Dad! Enjoy:












Tomorrow: the first of several posts featuring Ricky Rebel's custom cassettes!

9 comments:

Civic Center said...

Uh, awesome. My favorite part is that not a single term "confused me." And RR's take on crystal is about as wise as it gets. "Why would I take rat poison to have sex?"

Diane Griffin said...

Really interesting guy! I love his humor and his unique perspective. Wonder where he is?

J. Matt said...

I like the Satanic Sherwin-Williams logo. Good stuff, as always.

Rod N OH said...

...i desperately needed a distraction from the desk job today, and here it is! great stuff! anxious to hear his music...i can only imagine...

hooverific said...

Totally inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Love him!!! Come back, Ricky Rebel--we need to know what's going on with you!

Anonymous said...

Apparently, Ricky was HUGE at the Coffee Messiah: http://people.tribe.net/artist_elmondo/blog/06a1d3e8-cfa7-4c6a-8093-4a91deb47a7c

At least as of a few years ago, he was living in the Fremont section of Seattle, having a beer and 'Recovering from recovery.' Hilarious!

desertwind said...

I think I'm in love.

Would he go for an old hag married lady?

HRH King Friday XIII, Ret. said...

"The government hates you-- that gives me a boner right there."

--Rick Rebel, the original teabagger (only more sane)