Of all things! Afghanistan! Questioning the Afghanistan war and calling it "Obama's choosing"! Honestly, I didn't know Michael Steele had it in him to utter a gaffe –a lonnnng gaffe, on video– so completely preposterous, so out of left field, etc., etc., that I am caught totally off guard. It's like he sat down and thought, "Hmmm... what is the one, single thing that each and every Republican on the entire planet agrees upon?"
We've been down this fun, giddy road before, where Michael Steele says something so ridiculous that it's hard to see how he can survive, yet like a Teflon®-coated punching clown, he bounces back up, grin never wavering, eager for more. But ridiculous is one thing, pure heresy is another, and already the hawkiest hawks agree:
- Liz Cheney: "It is time for Chairman Steele to step down."
- Katherine Lopez: Oh, hey, how about Liz Cheney for Chairman?
- Bill Kristol: "You are, I know, a patriot. So I ask you to consider, over this July 4 weekend, doing an act of service for the country you love: Resign as chairman of the Republican party."
- Erick Emerson: "Michael Steele must resign. He has lost all moral authority to lead the GOP."
- Talking Points Memo points out that it might at first seem lucky that Steele made his amusing funny right before a holiday weekend, but in reality, all these hawks are on the Sunday shows (McCain, Lieberman, etc.) and will be asked to respond, and it won't be pretty.
- Fox News: Michael Steele Must Go.
So what's it going to be for Mikey? Will this one blow over, like all the others? Will Katherine Jean get distracted by something else? Will Bill Kristol bury his head back in Sarah Palin's lap, thus muffling the sounds of his calls for Steele's resignation?
Happy July 4 weekend!