Monday, September 12, 2005

Non-Ironic


Shot Friday at the Hancock Memorial.

I have an old friend from San Diego, Jeff, who has lived in New Orleans for the past several years. I haven't kept in touch with him, but I've been thinking of him a lot over the past few weeks. Yesterday, a mutual buddy of ours called me a let me know that he had finally heard from Jeff. It seems that his house was totally spared from any major damage, and his barbeque had been going "non-stop" since the disaster. Furthermore, he had been subsisting on caviar and other luxury goods, including "the best" liquor, liberated from nearby destroyed businesses. He saw (and avoided) the criminal gangs roving around, and reported that they had been using forklifts to break into all the banks, appliance stores, etc., and that it had only taken them two days to wipe everything out... everything the hurricane had spared, that is. Nevertheless, Jeff had been enjoying the best time of his life, living in an unaccustomed high-style in a kind of secondary eye of the storm.

I don't know quite why, but I was so happy to hear this. Obviously, I don't mean any disrespect to those who weren't as lucky, and I'm sure Jeff has been evacuated by now (EDIT: Actually, maybe not, according to today's news reports), but I'm glad that some people had a great time in the midst of this terrible disaster, half man-made and half natural.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's still there. I spoke with him last nite. He's the last person on his block. He was doing roof repairs yesterday in hat, gloves, and boots — working on his tan. There was no one around to complain!

Peteykins said...

Ha ha! You mean he was ONLY wearing a hat, gloves and boots?