Saturday, April 02, 2005

Let's Leave Mr. Hansen Alone, OK?

Those of you who know me (my little pals!) know that this is stictly a political fun and activity blog. I would never post something like "OMG! I just saw a great movie!" or "OMG! I just heard a great CD!"

And, yet, here I am, practically foaming at the mouth about Beck's new CD, Guero. So, what does this have to do with socio-political issues? Well, let me tell you!

A friend of mine puzzled me recently by asking, "Aren't you bummed that Beck's a Scientologist?" And sure enough, he seems to have been "outed" recently in this vein. As if that would suddenly render his records horrible? This web page, while not uninteresting, displays an insane level of paranoia, implying that when you interview Beck and don't grill him relentlessly about his religion at the expense of all other topics, you're doing the world a grave disservice. Some reviews of his new album throw the word "Scientologist" into the mix almost as an afterthought, as if it's absolutely necessary to include this information.

You know what I think? (Kids: Don't read the next sentence) So fucking what! Aren't we supposed to be the tolerant left? Plus, if you're concerned about religious extremists, which is a phrase that hardly applies to Beck, Scientologists are seriously among the last people you need to worry about.

Look, I find all organized religions distasteful, and I regard Scientology as an elaborate joke launched by a mediocre Science Fiction hack which got carried too far, but if Beck continues to make incredible albums like Guero, he could join the KKK for all I care.



Here is an excellent recent article on and interview with Beck in the UK Times, in which the subject is sensitively addressed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Princess Sparkle Pony, don't be silly. My pastor told me that anything producted by secular nut jobs is the Devil's music and I will burn in hell for all eternity if I hear even one note.

(shh don't tell pastor Keith, but I'm tired of every song being about lifting up His holy holy holy glory. Why aren't there any music songs like that Solomon dude had?)

-Pretty Princess Tori

Peteykins said...

Hmmmm... you might be right, Pretty Princess Tori, because I just noticed that one of the songs on Guero contains a sample from Black Sabbath. :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you Princesses. I have always loved Beck, and I don't care what whacked out religion he chooses to follow.

Guero is another fantastic piece of work, and I'll continue to worship Beck, until he starts molesting underage crippled kids.

He's pretty evil, regardless (mwuhahaha).

PS- I played an Acid Jazz version of Devil's Haircut on my radio show last night. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

PS- The continuously astonishing Chick Corea is Scientologist, too.

Anonymous said...

Whadever people god!! need not stress out so very much it just scientology!! Its not gonna eat you alive and rip your skin off and threaten to kill your family if you dont pay a ransom or burn down your house. I hate it though but I love Beck yup yup and his music and always will. Yeah woot woot! yeaaahh..okay listen upp Beck rules like a mule on a stool in a pool going to highshcool wooo first day scary huh/?